Founded in 1917 and originally named the Catholic Institute High School, the school was renamed Cheverus in 1926 after the first bishop of Boston, John Cheverus. The school was first located on Free Street, moved to Cumberland Avenue in 1946, and then to its current location on Ocean Avenue in 1952. Cheverus High School is a private, Jesuit, College Preparatory school. In 2000 the school became coed. Go Stags!