This beautiful Romanesque Revival building (1888) was a gift to the city from philanthropist James Baxter. Baxter served six terms as mayor of Portland and was largely responsible for the expansion of the city's park system. Francis Fassett was the designer of this elegant library made of red brick, Ohio sandstone, and brown freestone. The former library is now occupied by the Maine College of Art.
To view the complete Landmark Ornament collection, click here.