In 1925 Henry P. Rines, Portland’s visionary hotelier, announced the building of Portland’s newsiest high rise hotel. His mission was to create the largest hotel north of New York City with 241 guest rooms and apartments. The architect was Peter Rhodes of Portland.
The Eastland opened its doors with great fanfare on June 15, 1927. Charles Lindberg was honored at a banquet in the Grand Ballroom on July 1927 after speaking to a large crowd at Deering Oaks Park. The Eastland also gained notoriety when it refused to allow former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt to stay with her dog for the night.
To view the complete Landmark Ornament collection, click here.