From left to right: George T. Springer, founder of Springer’s Jewelers at the original location in Saccarappa (now Westbrook). Circa 1870 • Springer’s Jewelers moves to its present site at 580 Congress Street. Circa 1947 • Edmond J. Beaulieu Jr., left, joins his father, Edmond J.Beaulieu at Springer’s Jewelers. Circa 1947
Springer’s Jewelers is a coastal New England family-owned chain of jewelry stores that provides high quality fine jewelry to thousands of New England patrons and visitors. Since 1870, Springer’s Jewelers has celebrated their clientele’s most important life moments. We are Maine’s oldest operating jewelry store and are one of the oldest fine jewelers in the United States.
Springer’s Jewelers was established in 1870 by George T. Springer in nearby Saccarappa (now Westbrook, Maine) offering a wide range of optical goods, stationery, and artists materials, "fancy goods," and of course, fine jewelry. Springer’s has remained a family-owned business for four generations. Richard Beaulieu took over the business from his father in 1988 and has been owned by the Beaulieu family for four generations. Springer’s Jewelers has since welcomed Lilly Beaulieu Mullen and Zoe Beaulieu, the fourth generation, to the company. (2013)
By the turn of the century, the company had moved from nearby Saccarappa to 515 Congress, where Edmond Beaulieu Sr. acquired the store. In 1947 Ed Beaulieu Jr. joined his father in the business and Springer's moved to its current site at 580 Congress near the intersection with Forest Avenue.
Springer's Bath located in the historic downtown dates to 1879 and originally was called A.G. Page Co. Purchased in 1932 by Massachusetts entrepreneur Frank Freeman, Springer's acquired it in 1979. This treasure of the mid-coast appears today as it did in 1870's with its original storefront, mahogany cabinets installed by the Page family, a 14-foot high ceiling, a checkerboard marble floor, and classic hanging brass lamps over the floor cases.
The company purchased the Portsmouth location in 1971 from the widow of Herman Page, who'd been one of the first certified gemologists in New England. Springer's-Portsmouth was located at the Vaughan Street Mall for nearly 30 years before relocating in 2000 to 100 Market Street, an upscale, five-story building on the corner of Market and Hanover Street in the heart of downtown Portsmouth.
Our community allows us to make a living and it is our strong belief that we owe something back to that community, by supporting local organizations and charitable causes.